Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The first week of your life



I stayed in hospital for the first four days after you was born.

Immediately after you was born i just held you for a while taking in how beautiful you looked. Listening to you making those little baby noises in awe over what your daddy and i had created.

You then had your first good long breastfeed and after about half an hour we got out the pool.

I laid down with you on the bed and after the midwife made sure mummy was ok you latched on again for another feed. We all had some tea and toast and eventually i went for a shower and got settled in my bed on the ward.

I think your daddy and Oma left us for a while to get showered and to then come back with congratulation cards.

When night came though i couldn't sleep. I was so overwhelmed and still high on endorphines all i could do was lay there and stare at you sleeping, waiting for you to wake up and want a feed again.

I lived in a state of happy bliss and disbelief mixed with proudness and exhaustion. We coped well though, you and I and after one of the midwives tips to put you next to me while sleeping, because you wouldnt settle, we started co sleeping. Thank you to whoever that midwife was, I loved it from the word go.

Even though we were doing alright and Daddy and Oma wanted us to come home i wanted to stay in hospital just one more night to make sure i could get you latched on properly for a feed. When the last night passed without us needing any help at all, and after you had had all your checks, we left the hospital and took you home. We got greeted by banners and balloons and more cards. I cant describe the feeling of bringing you home, it was just too amazing to put into words.

I was truly the happiest person in the world to have my own little family in my own little home.

No comments: